Gimp for mac is a free & open source image editor for Mac OS X, Linux, Windows, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris and AmigaOS 4.GIMP comes in two modes i.e single window mode and multiple window mode (where one window contains an image and other two are toolbars). GIMP for Mac is one of the best image editing tools available today.
Following are the main features of GIMP:
- Image retouching and editing
- Free-form drawing
- Image resizing & Scaling
However since GIMP is expandable, more features can be added by installing GIMP plugins and extensions.
Earlier, GIMP was used to be installed with MacPorts, but now GIMP runs perfectly fine on recent version of Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite after the GIMP 2.8 release it is available as native app for Mac OS X.
How to Download & Install Image Editor GIMP for Mac
- Download GIMP 2.8 for Mac OS X from here, or go to official page of GIMP & download it from under “Native builds” section.
- Double click the downloaded file “gimp*.dmg” to extract “GIMP.app” file.
- Now drag this “GIMP.app” to “Application” folder.
- To open GIMP, press “F4” and double click on it.