Renaming files, folder/directory is 5 seconds job in Windows and Linux, but if you recently switched from Windows or Linux operating system, its pretty much tricky to rename a folder in Mac OS X (you don’t get an option on right click). But its quite easy once you know how to rename a folder in Mac. While renaming the files, be cautious about changing the extensions of files. Follow the steps on-
How to rename a folder on Mac
Method 1 to rename a folder on mac:
- Step 1: Select folder which you want to rename.
- Step 2: Press “return” key and type the new name for your folder.
Method 2 to rename a folder on mac:
- Step 1: Right click on the folder and select “Get Info”.
- Step 2: Under the “Name and Extension” option change the name of your folder and close the window.
Method 3 to rename a folder on mac using command line;
- Step 1: Open “Terminal” from apps(hit “F4”)
- Step 2: Run the command
mv path_to_old_file_of_folder path_to_new_file_or_folder
These methods are tested in Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite, so probably will work on all versions of Mac OS X.